Donnerstag, 10. November 2011

Putting English language before literature

What keeps you motivated? The realisation that my learners appreciate my efforts, even though, generally, they are not yet where I want them to be in terms of English acquisition and use.

Best teaching moment? When a group of 17- to 18-year-old learners, who had been passive, began to participate in my lessons after some motivational work. The group had joined my class from other schools and they felt they were being overshadowed by longer-term students. It was small talk that really worked wonders and three of them even opted to join our higher-level class.

And worst? After I had given what I thought were clear instructions for a written class activity, I went out for a moment. When I came back, a student just burst into tears and said, "Sir, I don't know what I am supposed to do."

Read the rest of this article...